Re: BIOS boot message. How to fix?

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 13:29:55 -0500, Mark Neidorff wrote:

> I'm running kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64 .  Recently I have started getting
> this informational message on boot:

By "recently" you mean "suddenly and by no apparent reason"?

> Your BIOS doesn't have a aperture memory hole. Please enable the IOMMU
> option in the BIOS setup.
>
> The BIOS is ASUS M2N PV-VM ACPI BIOS R1201
>
> When I enter BIOS setup, I see no option for enabling the IOMMU option.
> Please tell me what I should be looking for and what I should change it
> to?
>
> FWIW, the system seems to boot normally.  I have found no glitches, but
> I like to keep ahead of this kind of problem.

Hum... some motherboards allow to enable what is called "memory
remapping" that "returns" to the OS all the available ram memory used for
AGP or PCI devices.... well, sort of :-)

You have to look for that option in your BIOS, but notice that is not
always present (look also for any BIOS update that add this capability or
ask directly to Asus).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón