Re: alternatives for gcc

Joe Riel wrote:

> Why are there no alternatives, configurable with update-alternatives,
> for gcc? Seems like I should be able to configure whether /usr/bin/gcc
> is linked to gcc-4.3, gcc-4.4, etc.   Of course I can just set the link
> manually (which I do), but ...

every normal automake or cmake accepts the CC,CXX, CPP or equivalents to
manage this. Especially in later releases of gcc this seems to be working
very well, so I'm not sure if it's really necessary to do so. Let me know
if you are  able to update it with update-alternatives and how, because
I've been asking myself how this could be setup as default in the past.

regards