Re: Error installing Squeeze with root filesystem as btrfs

On 8 January 2011 08:48, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> In <[🔎] AANLkTikEbsMpx7jabAoeGUPtdP6BdKGLyuLPhdB1PXDO@mail.gmail.com>, Paul
> Richards wrote:
>>On first boot into the system I got the following error:
>>
>>FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol
>>in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>
>>A few other errors follow as a consequence of not being able to mount
>>the root filesystem.  Is installing to a root btrfs filesystem
>>expected to work in squeeze yet?
>
> I had it working under a mostly Lenny system.  It continues to work although
> that laptop is mostly Squeeze now.
>
> There was an issue with initramfs-tools and btrfs on root.  The btrfs module
> depends on libcrc32 module, which is correctly pulled in.  However, some
> systems also need to crc32 module, if no other module provides the a crc32
> implementation.  libcrc32 is an interface to the crc32 module software or a
> hardware (assisted) implementation.
>
> Make sure your initrd contains the crc32 module before you go looking for
> other problems.  IIRC, this can be configured in /etc/iniramfs-tools/modules,
> but you may be using some other method to build an initrd.

I'm not doing anything myself to build the initrd.  I'm simply running
the current ISO candidate for the squeeze netinst installer.

Is what you suggest something I can fix from the terminal during the
install?  (I can alt-f2 to the spare VT to perhaps make the
corrections)

--
Paul Richards
@pauldoo