Re: care and feeding (no longer resembles: Can Debian Backup ntfs File System?)

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 11:01:03AM EST, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
>> On Wednesday 05 January 2011 15:15:43 Camaleón wrote:

[..]

>> They know that the computer needs electricity and that the car needs petrol.
>> I doubt that most people know more than that.

> Well, I would hope they also know that their car needs (at least in the US):
> - scheduled maintenance
> - an annual inspection
> - a registration sticker
> - insurance
> As well as:
> - at some point, they took a driving test, and some of the
> rules-of-the-road stuck
> - they need to renew their license
> - drive somewhere in the vicinity of the speed limit
> - stop for red lights and stop signs
> - don't drive under the influence
> - don't sit in a closed garage with the motor running
> - how to change a tire (or at least, how to call AAA)

Muted chuckles.. what part of the U.S. are you referring to..?

> The analogy to cars is a good one.  It seems reasonable to expect
> a  computer user to acquire a set of skills akin to what one needs to
> drive  and maintain a car.  It's probably not reasonable to require
> a computer  user to acquire skills akin to obtaining a pilot's
> license.

As long as they don't get it into their heads to invest in a 5-ton
previously owned mainframe and attempt to drive it around the block,
nobody's going to care.

cj