Re: Limited or no video playback with mkv containing H.264

On 01/06/2011 12:42 AM, teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net wrote:
Hello;

I am about to kill my computer...

I have an older AMD Atholon64 3200 With 2GB RAM and an EVGA Geforce 6600 Graphics card (128 mb Graphics Memory)

I am running Testing with current Kernel 2.6.32-5-686

I have some .mkv video files containing H.264 in VLC I get Audio and Solid green screen (black screen when I set driver to GLX Video Output XCB)

If I load the same files in Xine I get half video with bottom half solid green.

I have "upgraded" from default drivers to Nvidia's system, and best I can tell I am using that driver, not sure how to verify for sure, it's referenced in lsmod and xorg.config

I have played with and run every MKV / H.264 codec I can find.

I am not really familiar with advanced graphics and xorg configuration so not sure if I am just missing something.

Thanks for your time;
TeddyB
Maybe the MKVs are corrupt ? does mplayer fare any better ?
I got an AMD with a Geforce 7000 with nividia drivers and stock Xorg conf with whatever settings the nvidia-config sets at the time of installation and MKvs with h264 plays just fine on both VLC and mplayer. Both players using whatever the default video out they come with.

Mihira