Re: squeeze us-intl w/ dead keys on i386/pc/qwerty keyboard

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 10:57:22 -0500, David A. Bandel wrote:

> I want to get back to the old behavior I had where my i386/pc/qwerty
> keyboards had dead keys for international characters (like ~n, but with
> the ~ over the n).
>
> Can this be done anymore or not?
>
> dpkg-reconfigure console-data and selecting all keyboards provides me
> this (abbreviated) list:
> pc / qwerty / US american / Standard / Standard pc / qwerty / US
> american / Standard / US International (ISO 8859-1) pc / qwerty / US
> american / Standard / US International (ISO 8859-15) pc / qwerty / US
> american / Standard / With latin1
>
> "dead keys" are not in the list.  I've tried some of these (the first
> two choices), but no dead keys.  The nice thing about dead keys (besides
> being used to them) is that they worked in xterm, OpenOffice, IceWeasel,
> etc.

Usually you can do this by using your DE keyboard settings (in GNOME,
gnome-keyboard-properties / layout / adding US-Intl "altgr dead keys").

Or by manually editing "/etc/defaults/keyboard" values, i.e.:

***
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT="intl"
***