Re: insserv + apache2 + bind9 = pain

On Sun January 2 2011 13:59:01 Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> > The rcN.d format is an excellent design if we can just keep insserv
> > from mangling it.
>
> As I haven't converted one of my systems to dependency based boot yet,
> there still has to be some way to keep the old way. No idea why there
> is no documented way to switch that on...

You should be able to preserve the old way by correctly answering
the question when insserv is installed or sysv-rc is updated.

We haven't tested that yet so I can't vouch for it.  If you try it
please let us know if it's safe.

For our first three test upgrades we assumed insserv would not
destroy the boot order as there is no warning in the debconf
question or the release notes.  Our third test upgrade was the
first server test upgrade, and that was when we realized that
insserv is a disaster.

--Mike Bird