Re: making a pdf file smaller the debian way....

On 01/01/2011 06:36 PM, Michael Fothergill wrote:
Dear Debian folks,

I have pdf file that is too big to be emailed around easily.   I tried
making a zip file out of it but that only made it 1% smaller.  I don't
have the scanner with me or I could have scanned it at lower
resolution.....

But e.g. adobe acrobat I think has an option in it somewhere to take a
pdf and reduce it in some way and then output a smaller file.  I
possibly could install acrobat in some non free way that would do that
but I think you might be able to do it in ghostscript from some
limited googling I did.   But maybe there would a better way.......

Suggestions welcome.

Michael Fothergill

Just in the last day or two, someone wrote to the list (probably this one)
that there are a couple of repos you can get to from Debian that hold
proprietary software, and probably Adobe Acrobat.  Either scan for
that info, or maybe someone will chime in with the proper directions.
(I'm using Acrobat in another distro.  It works fine.)

--doug