Re: What is possible with static ip?

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
Matt Smith put forth on 12/7/2010 3:32 PM:
> I discovered my isp has assigned me a static ip.

i take it you're saying you have a static *public* ip?
first, i doubt it - my clear wimax modem has had the same ip for the past two and a half month but i seriously doubt they've given me a 'static ip'.

what can you do with your connection?
that depends on what your isp allows. frankly, as a consumer (and sometimes in business) i find it "better to ask for forgiveness than permission". however, if you do something against their tos and they feel that you are worth going after legally or want to make an example out of you, you'll probably loose.

also, on a consumer connection, if you do have a static ip and you irritate someone, they can dos you and you'll be hosed until you get your isp to change your ip or deny whatever addresses are sending the attack.

lastly, what does this have to do with linux? debian in particular? to keep this topical, if you're going to do any hosting on this box, i'll advise you to mind what ports you have publicly accessible, run snort and monitor it (you'll notice some cool stuff - like universities scanning you - it's the non edu that you should worry about here), install tripwire, and setup remote logging on a server or vm that is hardened even further, also if you setup dns limit zone transfers. i list these habits in no particular order - just things to keep in mind if you go public on with "servers" on a "static ip address".