Re: A question for the list:

In <[🔎] 20101108224106.2c5c2d9e@a45.fmb.no>, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 03:05:43 -0600, Boyd wrote in message
><[🔎] 201011080305.48486.bss@iguanasuicide.net>:
>> (aptitude search '~E') should give you a list of "essential"
>
>..define "essential", in our Experimental context. ;o)

From <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html>:
5.6.9 Essential
 This is a boolean field which may occur only in the control file of a binary
package or in a per-package fields paragraph of a main source control data
file.
 If set to yes then the package management system will refuse to remove the
package (upgrading and replacing it is still possible). The other possible
value is no, which is the same as not having the field at all.