Re: Mozilla products in Debian

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:11:51 -0400, Doug wrote:

>> On 2010-11-05 15:38 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>>
> /snip/
>>
>>> I see only one reason to force the upgrade of a stock package with a
>>> newer version and is precisely the lack of support (nor patches) from
>>> upstream packager.
>>
> /snip/

You are quoting in the wrong way, I guess. The above paragraph is mine...

> I see _no_ reason to force the  upgrade of any package, whether it is
> "maintained" or not, so long as it works.

(...)

So you prefer a working system but vulnerable to threats and exploits? I
cannot leave a server in that state. Not attached to Internet.

"Stable" should not be (by any means) a synonym of "vulnerable" :-/

I'm fine with _old packages_ provided they are still maintained and
tracked upstream for security flaws. I'm fine with kernel 2.6.26 (don't
need a newer release, don't need adding new features). But we all know
what "unmaintained/unsupported" means: no more eyes catching security
issues.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón