Re: A question for the list:

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 18:19:55 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't recall the last time sid was broken so that manual intervention
> was needed to get the system running, but individual applications can
> have annoying bugs.

Let's consider something like the kernel switch to the libata drivers,
where you had to rewrite your /etc/fstab (assuming you weren't using
UUIDs or labels) and other critical files due to the renaming of the
device nodes. Someone who was doing ordinary stable upgrades would see
the warnings in the release notes, but it was pretty easy to get bitten
by this if you were just tracking Sid.

This is a good illustration of another good piece of advice for anyone
wanting to run Sid: you need to keep up with the general news and
discourse in the community.  When I got hit by the switch, I was aware
of what to do because I follow this list, as well as some other sources
of news, but a user who just wants things to work and doesn't have
time / interest to follow the news might have experienced considerable
frustration.

Celejar