Re: Orphaned User Accounts?

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> I always hate it that the default skeleton for normal users is to
> clear the screen on logout.  It is one of the irritating things that I
> always fix on my systems so that it doesn't do that by default.  It
> gets in the way of productivity.  If the user wants to clear the
> screen then they can do so manually.  And it doesn't provide any
> "protection" in the case of connection drops.  Better to be aware of
> any sensitive information and to protect it as appropriate than to
> have such an annoyance most of the time when it isn't needed and to
> have it fail you at some critical time.

I've find it very useful. When you log out, that's it. You're done.
Why would you leave printable data on the screen for others to see
when you walk away from the terminal. It's a security vulnerability
and when you tell the system to "log off", you're saying 'I'm done'.
When you walk away from an ATM, you finish your transaction and expect
the screen to clear, right? Same thing to me. The beauty of Linux is
the fact that we can change the things don't make sense or work for us
that do for a majority.