Re: why there is no sound output from the front audio pane

Dne, 04. 11. 2010 09:53:20 je Huasen napisal(a):
On 11/04/2010 04:41 PM, Klistvud wrote:

Have you made sure the front audio panel is actually connected to the motherboard audio headers? If this laptop has been serviced before, they may well have forgotten to re-attach the cables (happened to me with the mic cable once). Does the front audio panel work when you start the machine with a live CD, such as Ubuntu 10.4 or the newest Fedora/OpenSuSE/whatever?

Although i have not tried that way, Im sure the cabe is connected to the motherboard well, because if I boot into windows xp, it will work as the back panel's. But, I usually use debian, not xp.

Please keep this thread on the list, OK? There's no need to post me personally, I'm subscribed to the list.

Now, back to the problem. I guess what you said rules out a hardware problem. Still, using a live CD or two would show us whether this is a problem related to Debian or to Linux in general.

If the former, the new Debian coming out soon (Squeeze) could solve it for you.

If the latter, I can only add these 2 cents: on my desktop machine with an Intel motherboard, the front audio headers require special (Windows-only, of course) software to fully work. They do work per se, but if you want to enable rear jack muting (so that your main speakers get muted when you plug in the headphones in the front audio jack), you have to install Windows, and load a special Windows driver.

<rant>
What I mean to say is, the industry is packed-full of non-standard, obfuscated and ill-intentioned tricks and quirks, designed so as to give the MS operating system a competitive edge. For example, shipping *only* Windows drivers with the hardware is one such strategy. Or, in many laptops ACPI is purposely not designed so as to follow the standard, but so as to be Microsoft-compatible. Somebody or something is apparently blackmailing hardware vendors so badly that they'd sooner break the standard than their compatibility with Windows.
<tnar>

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.