Re: [solved] Re: Ethernet port dead

Dne, 03. 11. 2010 19:13:02 je Rodolfo Medina napisal(a):

A few weeks ago I started the present thread. The messages from this list seemed to conclude that it was a hardware problem and no remedy to make it work. Then I bought a new usb ethernet port and upgraded the kernel to linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.5-686 in order to have the new device working. Just out
of curiosity, I tried if the new kernel detected the old port
and... surprisingly, it now seems to work fine! Just pity I've spent about
20€.

I resume it all: the laptop is 5 years old. The old port used to work; then it stopped working; now it works again with a new kernel; with the old kernel it
still doesn't work.

Oh well, you can try selling it on e-bay, or swapping it for something more useful. By the way: didn't anybody on the list suggest you try running a live distro CD or two, preferably recent ones? It's the first thing I do in similar situations (although I have to admit: the fact that it used to work and then stopped working would have mislead anybody, me included).

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.