Re: improve screen resolution

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 17:47:08 +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:

> On 03/11/2010 17:15, Camaleón wrote:

>> So jump to a tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1), login as root and run:
>>
>> init 1
>>
>> Re-type root's password to get into maintenance console and follow the
>> last steps:
>>
>> cd /etc/X11/
>> Xorg -configure
>>

> Well the short of it..it ends in  ..  ABORT.

Ouch! :-(

I can't figure out what is going wrong here. "Xorg -configure" it's a
very basic step that should work under any circumstances :-?

Sorry, I'm getting out of ideas.

> Any suggestions for maybe a new card that is supported by squeeze?

But didn't you own a laptop? How could you change the VGA card?

I know there are some external VGA ATI devices but AFAIK they are bundled
with concrete laptop brands, not suitable for all laptops.

> Or a card that is more compatible with linux distros?

Your card should be compatible... problem here is that you are hitting a
bug in Debian's xorg driver package (the one I already told you).

> Now say I do replace the card.
> How will debian handle it and maybe the other distros that I have on
> external disks without reinstalling.
> Suse11.3, Ubuntu 10.10.

Almost any common VGA card (ati, nvidia or intel) would be fine. For
instance, I've got a nvidia 7600GS (quite old, I know) running on Debian
lenny pretty fine and previously was running on openSUSE 10.3 :-)

Today, installing a new VGA card should be an automatic step in latest
distributions (as openSUSE 11.3 and Ubuntu 10.10) because Xorg has been
automated precisely to achieve this situation (VGA card replacement,
monitor change...). Only when facing problems (such your case, I guess)
manual tweaks are required.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón