Re: improve screen resolution

On 02/11/2010 19:23, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:41:08 +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:

     This is from my suse OS.

This is what I get in opensuse 11.3
lspci | grep VGA
dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (271x203 millimeters)
Okay, so you want to get 1024x768, right?

This is very nice.

800x600 is maybe OK in normal use.
I get sizing problems on my internet banking site with the smaller
resolution

I do not have the know how to implement your suggestions. I only can use
the OS's as is.
I do appreciate your assistance
I cannot guarantee your card can get your desired resolution under
Debian, there seem to be some problems with xorg-sis drivers, but we at
least can try some tweaks :-)

Are you using lenny, squeeze, sid...?

Anyway, you can create a "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file (if there is one
already present just make a backup first -by renaming the file to
something like "xorg.conf.old"-, never work on the original file without
having done a copy first so in the event something goes wrong you can
easily restore the original file).

And there you can put:

***
Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "Monitor0"
   DisplaySize 271 203
End Section
***

(that is the size openSUSE 11.3 detected)

Save the "xorg.conf" file and restart the system (the fastest way in this
case to test the new configuration). And cross your fingers :-P

Greetings,

OK, before I do anything.

I am using squeeze (freeze) and  update it daily.

Does this make any difference to your suggestion?
Regards
Johan