Re: Trying to use a Nokia N95 as a modem over USB

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> No, I have an older N95 (that would probably be N95-1 or something like
> that) and it works flawlessly. The thing is, I spent several days hunting
> down relevant info all over Google in order to make it work. Some
> configuration had to be entered manually, IIRC. For some things, I went "by
> nose", installing Gnome PPP and what not. I've never heard of this Blueman
> DUN wizard. The modem is located at /dev/rfcomm0, while Gnome PPP will only
> detect /dev/modem and /dev/ttySx, so its autodetection is of no use. The
> hardest part, however, was finding the relevant codes and numbers and
> initiation strings for my GSM provider; providers like to obfuscate these
> data in proprietary files, pre-packaged for Windows (and for Macs at best).

I did take a crack at this approach following various online tutorials
without success.  Good to know that the hard part was the
provider-specific codes as I did not change these from defaults.
Thanks for the offer but unless your provider is Rogers in Canada,
I'll take another look at this method and try and find the Rogers
codes somewhere myself.