Re: usb mount pmd661

* Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [101101 15:00]:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 14:35:11 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>
> > Has anyone figured out how to mount a Marantz PMD661 flash memory
> > recorder in Linux in order to copy the audio files to a computer? or is
> > necessary to run a Window$ machine in order to access the device?
>
> There is a bug report for Ubuntu:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/589369
>
> Maybe you can take a look and check if you are experencing the same
> problem.
>
> Greetings,

Thanks, Camaleón.  I found the report several days ago, but I did not
fully understand it.  The symptoms I see are similar, except that
mounting manually with "mount -t vfat" does not work for me; mount
returns an error message that /dev/sdb1 does not exist, even though I
do see "sdb" in the output of dmesg.

Also, I do not understand how to "hack the FISINFO"; the report says:

    "Then I hacked the FSINFO back to the standard value using
    hexeditor. Linux automount started working and the Marantz
    recorder was not adversely affected, still being able to read and
    write the card with no problems."

Is this done by mounting the SD memory card with a external card
reader?  And is this done with the Debian package "hexer"?  I would
like to try this work-around.

RLH