Re: Attaching vs. pastebin for big outputs [was: Re: Installation Size Different - bug ?]

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 13:40:06 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Lu, 01 nov 10, 11:26:40, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> It is specified in Debian mailing list "code of conduct":

>> ***
>> Avoid sending large attachments.
>> ***
>
> Without any mention of what "large" means :(

More than ~25 KiB can be annoying for users with dial-up lines or GPRS.

>> > I wonder, what do others think?
>>
>> I personally prefer long logs and snapshot images are linked unless
>> otherwise specified (i.e., if the user does not have Internet access,
>> embedded those inside the e-mail is right).
>
> I don't know why, but I also consider images inappropriate, but now I
> see that a full screenshot of my desktop (1680x1050) is "only" about 3
> times bigger than the *uncompressed* dmesg.

Is not only "size", but readability. An imagen of 1680x1050 it looks
cropped inside my Pan newsreader. I would have to scroll down
horizontally to get a full view.

>> External logs provide a better reading and understanding as MUA tends
>> to auto "wrap" lines and it becomes difficult to read them.
>
> command > file.txt
>
> and then attaching should not be a problem as word wrapping in viewers
> can usually be toggled ;)

Yes, what I meant is that many e-mail clients do not allow forcing a non-
break line and they wrap the bunch of logs into several lines what is
hard to interpret.

Sample of non-break line:

***
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and...
***

Sample of wrapped lines:

***
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting
industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever
since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and...
***

I can choose when using one or other with Pan (and Mutt), but not all MUA
are capable of doing so.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón