Re: iomega 2TB external USB drive

John Lindsay wrote:
I just picked up an Iomega 2TB external USB drive. It is formatted NTSF. When plugged into my Win7 pc it is seen however it does not show up on screen under Debian (lenny). Is this drive supported? How can I get it seen by debian?

John

Well, success of sorts. I transfered folders from my debian system using Ubuntu live just to get something on it. Typed mount in a terminal window and it showed the following:

/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
/dev/hdb on /new-disk type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt type vfat (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /home/ve3sjv/Desktop type vfat (rw,uid=1000,gid=100)

It definitely shows the drive is there. Took a look at computer-->filesystem-->mnt. It showed all five folders and when a folder was opened all files within are present. The folders show up as locked folders on the desktop. What I was expecting to see was a drive icon to show up on the desktop or at the very least show up as a 'named drive' under the 'computer' icon on the screen or under Places in the toolbar. My usb stick shows up as a named drive when installed. My 10G drive that I put into a USb external enclosure shows up as a named drive on the desktop --

The saga continues.

John