Re: Can start X once but no more

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:42:04 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I run GNOME, so this technique may not work for you or may need to be
> adapted.  [ . . . ]

I use startx, so it is much simpler for me.

> [ . . . ] I can then deallocate vt 7 with
>
>    deallocvt 7
>
> I find that the "deallocvt 7" command fails unless I kill
> console-kit-daemon first. [ . . . ]

Thanks a lot for that 'deallocvt'. That's all the things I need. I don't
have console-kit-daemon or gdm running, so it is much simpler for me.

> This is clearly a bug.  I shouldn't have to do this.  The question is,
> against what Debian package do I report the bug?  My first thought was
> against xserver-xorg-video-nv, but I have seen these symptoms (though
> less often) with other video drivers, such as intel.  Perhaps
> console-kit is the right package, since it owns the executable whose
> process must be killed in order to deallocate the vt.

I don't have the console-kit package, so it is not the cause. Please go
ahead and report it just against xserver-xorg. They will move it to more
proper places if necessary, as my experiences tell me.

Thanks again!

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/