Re: iomega 2TB external USB drive

On Wednesday 08 September 2010 03:24:06 John Lindsay wrote:
> With regards to the problem I am having getting this IOMEGA drive to be
> seen by my primary computer running Debian Lenny -- I deleted the
> partitions, recreated the partitions as ext3, then ext4 and finally
> ntsf . I then checked mstab after  'mount ./dev./sdb1  /mnt' after each
> change and it shows the drive is mounted. However it does not show up on
> the desktop.  I have a test computer which had a debian 5,0
> installed.so I unmounted the HDD from my main computer and plugged it in
> to my test computer. It showed as mounted but not on on the desktop.
> Since this is my test unit I installed Linux Mint 9. After the
> installation was complete I checked the drive. It was present. I can
> open it, transfer files, erase files and  create and delete folders. I
> know it works on Mint -- for some reason debian refuses to show it on
> the desktop or in the computer folder. Thats how it stands -- very
> frustrating. I wanted to use it with either a USB hub or switch so I
> could use it as a storage drive for files etc. I'll continue to
> investigate it and see what happens.

I have avoided saying anything so far as I don't know about Gnome, only KDE
3.x.x.

But in KDE this would almost certainly be because of how the Desktop is
configured - show the relevant icon or not show it.  (configure desktop ->
Behaviour -> device icons)

Debian and Mint may have different defaults from each other.

We have already established that Debian does "see" the drive - it just doesn't
put an icon on the desktop.  Presumably Gnome too has the capability.  You
just need to find it.

If you had already said something about this, I find your emails illegible and
can only pisk out a few bits, so I may have missed it.

Lisi