Re: Emergence: recover deleted files

Rodolfo Medina wrote at 2010-09-07 06:12 -0500:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> writes:
> > If it's major, why so much resistance in following the advice that has  been
> > given?
>
> Beacuse:
>
> I'm in hda6, the partition containing the deletes files.  When I reboot into a
> live CD or into another partition of the hard disk, say hda8, as far as I know
> - but maybe I'm wrong - during the reboot the system will write reports in some
> files of hda6, which we don't want to.  Instead, if I do: `# cd /mnt/hda8', and
> run photorec from hda8, we avoid the possible damage caused by the reboot or
> the shutdown, and also we don't touch hda6.  Is that true?

These 4 options have been mentioned:
1. remount hda6 readonly
2. umount hda6
3. reboot to LiveCD
4. immediate power-off (pull the plug)

If 1 and 2 are not possible (on 2 you could try forcing it, see umount(8)), and
4 could possibly cause filesystem damage, then 3 is your only remaining option.

The writes that have occured to hda6 while the system runs are probably more
than what will occur when you shutdown the system.