Re: Upgrade of squeeze hangs on apt (0.7.26~exp3)

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <[🔎] 87tym48l1e.fsf@teufel.historicalMaterialism.info>, brownh wrote:
With a brand new installation of squeeze, one of my first steps was to
do a package update and a safe-upgrade. The former went well, but when
I tried to upgrade the 22 updated packages, the upgrade proceedure
terminated with:

 Reading changelogs ... done

 apt (0.7.26~exp3) experimental; urgency=low
   * apt-ftparchive now reads the standard configuration files in
     /etc/apt/apt.conf and /etc/apt/apt.conf.d

and after some more lines ends with

 /tmp/tmpXXXX (END)

Sounds like your have apt-listchanges installed, and it is showing you the new Changelog entries. These are longer than one screen, so it has written them to a temporary file and is displaying them via less.

"q" should quit less.

Most likely apt-listchanges uses $PAGER, so if you are setting this variable to a command other than less, check the documentation for that command.

On Squeeze it now looks like apt-listchanges is a default install, I removed it and aptitude is trying to install it again, we'll probably be seeing a lot of WTF questions.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263