Re: Emergence: recover deleted files

Hey,

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 12:55:49 +0200
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> By mistake, I deleted most files from my sister's home directory via
> rysnc and ethernet cable.  Please suggest any way to possibly recover
> at least some of them.

I would pull the drive out of the system and put it in your machine (if
doable, eg its not a laptop) and use photorec [1] to recover what you
can.

If you cant, use a livecd for example sysresccd [2] (can be used from a
CD or USB stick) and use photorec from that.

Filenames etc will not be the same, but you should get back most of it
if you haven’t written anything to the drive.

Note: Dont try to recover to the same partition as the one with the
data on it which you are trying to get back!

I have been able to recover just about everything when i messed up a
partition table on a drive, some files where corrupted, but most
survived, the biggest problem was that the names where not intact,
though that might depends on the filesystem you are recovering from,
ymmv!

> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

Your welcome, Good luck!

[1] http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec (should also be in the repo)
[2] http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97