Re (2): Configuration for a Linux router with a client having a public address

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Thu, 02 Sep 2010 20:55:04 -0600
> Excellent diagram!  Thank you very much for sharing it.

Welcome.  Until I have a definite plan, the old configuration with carnot on the
AT 3612TR is restored.  All of these should work as long as the old disk drives hold up.
  http://142.103.107.138/
  http://carnot.yi.org/
  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/
My network is documented in
  http://carnot.yi.org/NetworksPage.html
with a link under "Miscellaneous Links" in the home page.

> The .137 is in the diagram as attached to dalton.  I know you said
> that was an old diagram.  But is that perhaps reversed with .138?

The configuration in the diagram is current.
dalton = 142.103.107.137
carnot = 142.103.107.138

> There are two main directions that I would suggest, and one of those
> main directions has two sub-directions. One way is to have
> dalton configured for *both* addresses ...
> Another way would be to use the Linux netfilter interface to port
> forward the desired ports.

If carnot had extra space on a bus, I'd think of adding a second Ethernet
card with address 142.103.107.138.  The existing Ethernet on carnot would
be 172.24.2.2 connected to dalton's 172.24.2.1.  The second Ethernet
on carnot would have no cable attached of course.  Assuming dalton receives
142.103.107.138 packets, as well as its own, it would simply route
the 142.103.107.138 packets out through 172.24.2.1.  No translation of
address or port would be required.  In this respect dalton would work
as the AT hub does.

There is no simple means of adding a second Ethernet adapter to carnot.
Can two addresses be assigned to one interface?
Is there anything which might be called a phantom interface?  Similar to
localhost.  If such a thing exists it should serve for 142.103.107.138.

Thanks,                ... Peter E.

--
VoIP 7785886232 is gone.  Please use 13604502132.
Shop pages http://carnot.yi.org/ accessible as long as the