Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")

After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails.

I am not using raid and have the entry boot=/dev/hda in lilo.conf as
specified in the man page.  The installation fails with error code 01
which according to the lilo man page means invalid disk command.

Does it now want a UUID? If so, where do I find the correct UUID.
Values for the partitions are listed in /etc/fstab but not for the MBR.
I have checked several posibilities in /proc without success.  In
particular in /proc/bus there are now only three subdirectories, Input,
pci and usb.

Since this a new problem I checked the archives for August and September
but found nothing about lilo.

Tom