Re: Now lost boot dir

On 09/02/2010 12:26 PM, d_baron@012.net.il wrote:
  >  >  Using the Debian rescue CD, I built a 2.6.34 kernel compiling>  in more.>  >  However, locale issues prevented me from installing it and>  running lilo.>  >  Funny--worked fine last week. I got it to work today. Kernel will still not boot.>  I am wondering whether to>  bite the bullet>  >  and simply install a stock kernel.  Since I need Nouveau,>  it would need>  >  to be a more recent kernel, a  2.6.33,4 or 5. Which is recommended>  >  (all are called experimental and many images are simply lacking)?>  >  The standard 2.6.32 kernel used by Squeeze (I currently use>  2.6.32-5-686>  version 2.6.32-20) works fine, and includes the nouveau>  driver.  The>  nouveau driver seems to work OK in my experience, as long as you don't>  need interlaced video modes.OK. Does it work with sid xorg-video-nouveau or does it need the version from testing?>  >  Heard tell of compatibility problems with various nouveau compiles>  >  and its xorg drivers.  This would, of course, use th
e initrd.> > I stopped using initrd when the installations ran yaird and> this never> > worked.> > Debian has given up on yaird for now. Stock kernels use> initramfs-tools, which seems to work fine.> > > I used to use the old mkinitrd and have an obselete conf> > for it. Now, the update-initramfs serves this. Is> this smart enough> > to get me running with the newer SATA/PATA drivers (module policy> > defaults to "most")?> > The 2.6.32-5-686 kernel uses the newer libata drivers.> > > Do I need to specify most everything like> > in mkinitrd?> > MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy seems to> work fine as long as you don't "cross build" your initial RAM> file systems. I.e. don't build an initial RAM file system> for a kernel which uses the old IDE drivers while running a kernel> which uses the newer libata drivers, or vice versa.I would run it from the rescue CD which uses the newer libata drivers.> > > (Yaird had a test mode which gave a usable list of what> > to include.)> > If you use the -v switch on update-initramfs it will list the> modules that it includes.> > > Can these images be used with lilo or are they already> > too large?> > I don't have any personal experience with the amd64 images,> but I can attest that the i386 ones work> fine with lilo, especially if you use the large-memory option,> and especially if you use MODULES=dep.> I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but you might> want to take a look at my kernel-building web page,> http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm. It may have> some information that you will find useful, even if you use> a stock kernel, and especially if you use lilo.I'll give it a look!This new computer is a two-core intel so I assume it is 64 bit but that does not require me to use 64 bits, especially just to get the thing booting normally again.

If you could format the mail so that it would be easier to read,you might get some responses. As it it currently formatted as ONE LINE
it is, IMHO, just too hard on the eyes.

Wayne