Re: HA Debian Setup (2 Nodes)

On 03/09/10 13:45, Jangita wrote:
Hi List,

This is probably not the list for this question, but I guess it is a good starting point since I used debian servers for all my deployments.

I want a scenario where I have two servers that appear as one server (one IP) to the outside world, with both servers having *exactly* the same data and services. So in case one server falls into a pond somehow, I woun't even loose a ping from my clients.

Any help or pointers as to where I can start digging for information? the web speaks about pacemaker, drbd, some even talk about xen with remus, again a flood of information, confusing at best. I want a simple clean solution that works great with debian. I'd prefer a bare metal approach with services/systems running to make sure my setup is always available but transparent to the various client services connecting to it, and also transparent to the services running inside the box(ex).

Thanks,
Well, what are they hosting? Some setups use dedicated load balencers for things like web traffic et al. There is quite a good guide using DRBD and pacemaker. Why not have a look at this

http://clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf

First get down what you are hosting and how. Then work out how you want this to be highly avalible. Is data shared or are you using data on a backend NAS/SAN type device. Is it active-active or active-passive....these are all questions you need to answer first of all