Re: adding testing repositories

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 20:40 -0500, tom wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 21:25 -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 19:42 -0500, tom wrote:
> > > Is it recommended to add testing repositories to package list in
> > > Synaptic for lenny?
> > > Tom
> > >

> > Not by me.  See this:
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-choosing.en.html
> >
> > You add a different repo to your sources list to add a source of
> > needed/wanted packages not in the "official" repos:  For example debian
> > mulitmedia or perhaps you have your own "local" repo.  Or you change
> > your sources to point to a different branch to upgrade to that branch:
> > For example, you wanted to upgrade to testing (see my link above, not
> > recommended) or you wanted to upgrade to unstable.
> >
> > You do not add a source for testing or unstable so you can "pull"
> > packages down to add to Lenny.  Of course you *could* do that, but you
> > did ask if it was recommended.
> >
> > HTH
>
> OK.  Time to get serious.  I installed lenny stable thinking it would
> have LiVES on it.  I was using Ubuntu 8.04, which LiVES was not able to
> run on.  Now, it appears LiVES is part of the unstable release of
> debian?
>
> So, should I try to get an .iso file and create a CD of the unstable
> release, instead of lenny?
> Tom

No.  You don't "officially" install Sid.  You install stable.  You then
upgrade using apt-get or aptitude upgrade.   See 3.1.11 of the FAQS I
linked for you above.  I am not sure you are ready for Sid, but then,
neither was I when I did it.  If you have a working system in stable, I
recommend you upgrade, the full-upgrade to testing and then go to Sid,
but I think you best bet right now is to do a base install of stable,
then an upgrade to sid, then run tasksel and select "Graphical desktop
environment" to get X and gnome up and running.

--
Damon
damon@damtek.com