Re: thoughts on RHCE

Hi, Julien:

On Wednesday 01 September 2010 17:04:37 Julien Vehent wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I know this is kind of off-topic on a Debian mailing list, but since
> there's no Debian certification, I was considering taking RHCE.
> The thing is, RHCE fast track course is $3000, and so far, everything
> I've seen or read is pretty classic linux knowledge. So I was wondering
> what other people thought of it.
>
> Is it worth something as a linux certification, in the context of
> working as an independant contractor for example ?

Probably not needed for independant work contractor work (on the not-so-long
term the mouth-to-ear will be much more valuable than your on-paper
curriculum) but it can make a difference on a hire process if only because it
will allow you to pass over the HR people and reach the technical ones.

> Considering I have about 7 years of linux sysadmin in my head, not
> specifically with red hat though, is it doable to just take the exam
> (with a bit of preparation before, eg. centos and a good book) ? The
> exam itself is $750.

Probably you won't be able to get the RHCE certification without dedicated
training no matter what: there's too many specific "thingies" that wouldn't
be so much of a problem in the real world but that would ruin an exam (what's
the master file for network configuration on RHEL 5.3 -you have 30 seconds
for the answer).
--
Cheers