Re: building 2.6.35

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> Tom H writes:
>> I wasn't saying that you should use sudo. I was pointing out that you
>> were wrong in saying that "shouldn't compile using root permissions".
>
> No he wasn't.
>
>> Whether you choose fakeroot, sudo, su, or log on as root, is a
>> religious-type discussion that you can have with someone who cares
>> about such things.
>
> Read the fakeroot man page. Fakroot does _not_ "get root".  It does not
> give you any additional powers: that is why it exists.

I have and I agree with you regarding what fakeroot does (based on the
manpage that I've read in the past and read again after you posted
part of it).

IIUC, instead of giving you additional powers, fakeroot gives your
environment additional powers (otherwise, why would it be used?) and
that's probably why the kernel-package documentation doesn't
differentiate between fakeroot and sudo, refers to them both as
"$Get_Root", and describes them as "whatever you need to become root
-- fakeroot or sudo...)."