Re: Can only access Debian website through proxy

El 2010-08-06 a las 22:18 +1000, pierre poulos escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:34:06 +1000, pierre poulos wrote:
> >
> > > Using Iceweasel, Google Chrome and Lynx I cannot access http;//
> > > www.debian.org or any of the mirrors without using an external web
> > > proxy. My isp says they can access fine on their own machines. My wife's
> > > computer running Firefox on WinXP sp3 on the same connection also works
> > > fine. I have had to change my apt sources list as it was unable to
> > > access the
> > > security updates. What's wrong with my machine. I am running lenny
> > > current.
> >
> > Does it happen with any site or just some?
> >
> > Is not the first time I've seen an ISP having troubles for accessing
> > specific websites/servers/network routes which can be only reached using
> > an external proxy or another connection (i.e., by dial-up session with
> > another ISP).
> >
> > Give them a prudential time lapse and check later if the error still
> > persists.
>
> Hello
> I have tried hitting all sorts of websites without proxy --hack-sites,
> warez, pirates, porn, banned-sites and everything you can think of.

:-)

> Everything is successful except www.debian.org which needs a proxy.

Ouch.

Well, that sounds indeed very weird. Even more taking that any problem
on the ISP side should be already fixed :-(

Does another network tests to that host work or also fail in the same
manner? I mean, ping, wget, dig, traceroute... you can try all of these
to see how it goes:

ping -c 3 www.debian.org
wget www.debian.org
dig www.debian.org