Re: OTT: OpenFiler vs Thecus N4200?

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:18:54 -0700, Phillipus Gunawan wrote:

(...)

> So, if anyone expert can give me a light, would be much appreciated. For
> a started, I will only go with 3x2TB HDD for either option, to be
> RAID-ed as RAID5

Although I would prefer a DIYS dedicated computer to this task (far more
flexible, upgradeable and tweakable solution), the Thecus unit looks very
professional and plenty of advanced features. Also, it will be easier to
manage and handle (for setting up, configure alerts and warnings, RAID
operations and status, etc...).

Just one "but" here. Should something goes wrong, your options will be
very limited and "manufacturer dependant".

OTOH, RAID6 should be preferred over RAID5. The only drawback is that,
IIRC, a RAID6 level requires a minimum of 4 disks.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón