metacity opening windows a layer below

Hi,

Using Lenny with the standard Gnome desktop UI. I've noticed that many of the
windows that I open end up being opened in a layer below existing windows. It
is not predictable, but sometimes metacity just decides to put the new window
at a layer below existing windows, and not just windows that I've selected as
to always be above all others.

I glanced in the gconf properties for metacity but I didn't see anything that
seemed relevant. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
--