Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core and Debian install

On 07/01/2010 06:26 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
Hi,

I've never used AMD-based computers, and I've therefore always chosen
i386 as I habitually deal with Intel stuff. The fact is that I've got to
install Debian on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core. The AMD world is
totally stranger for me. I would like to know if there are (nontrivial)
differences in the installation process/in choices to make for Debian's
install.

No. High Street stores sell all make and model of AMD-powered machines running Windows. That is because AMD's complete desktop and server line of CPUs is designed to be x86-compatible.

(Note, though, that while Intel broke off to create the incompatible Itanium, AMD *extended* the 32-bit x86 instruction st to 64 bits, and Intel had to catch up when they saw what a huge technical and market success it was. Thus, the popular 64-bit arch is amd64.)

--
Seek truth from facts.