Re: A few minor issues in Squeeze with Gnome

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 12:39:06AM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 05. 06. 2010 23:28:58 je Peter Tenenbaum napisal(a):
> >
> >2.  On Lenny, there was a menu app which, amongst other things,
> >did CPU
> >speed-testing.  I believe it also showed the properties of the various
> >hardware (processor, memory, hard drive, etc).  Is that still
> >available?  I
> >can't find it on the menus (alas, I can't remember the name; I
> >only had
> >Lenny for a few days).
>
> It's called hardinfo and you can check whether it's still there by
> trying to run it from a terminal. If it's been discontinued, you can
> always use the CLI standards: lshw, lspci, lsusb, but there are
> other similar tools you can find in your repositories (just search
> for related keywords in synaptic).

It's there.

But worth thinking about is the System Monitor app. It can put 6 customized
graphs in your panel.  Then some nice extended info and System Monitor
itself is a right click from there.

Then there is cpufrequtils, which has a nice panel app. I used it to extend
my battery life by around 10% without any drop in performance that I have
noticed.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody