Re: Disk problems or worse?

Ralph Katz:

> Lenny install on newly acquired used Dell hangs and throws errors to
> syslog.  Do I have two bad disks or a more serious hardware problem?

Another option: it might be a kernel problem. I don't remember the
specifics anymore, but on one of my systems I had similar errors. After
replacing the disk and still getting these errors, I found hints that
the kernel might be at fault. I then installed a newer kernel from
backports.org and the problems went away.

> May 24 21:54:14 spike kernel: [ 5065.393331] Clocksource tsc unstable
> (delta = 4686898152 ns)

This line is irrelevant for the hard disk problem.

> /var/log/syslog:Jun  2 08:52:40 spike smartd[2346]: Device: /dev/hda,
> SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 100 to 198
> /var/log/syslog.1:Jun  1 08:13:56 spike kernel: [  936.000023] hda:
> dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
> /var/log/syslog.1:Jun  1 08:28:44 spike smartd[2357]: Device: /dev/hda,
> SMART Usage Attribute: 196 Reallocated_Event_Count changed from 196 to 195

That's a real hard disk error, but unless it happens regularly, you
don't need to worry. These happen sometimes and the disk is usually able
to handle it.

> Meanwhile, SMART self-tests short and long passed.  No errors were
> reported by smartctl -a /dev/hda.

Well, at least the reallocation events should have been counted. It
doesn't hurt to post smartctl's output.

J.
--
In an ideal world I would cure poverty and go to the gym at least three
days a week.