Re: Running a program when computer enters/exits idle state

Dne, 02. 06. 2010 18:33:21 je Carl Johnson napisal(a):

Do you know what your actual latency is?  When you have the ondemand
governor selected, you can check by 'cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate' to get
the latency in microseconds.  You can write to that any value between
'sampling_rate_min' and 'sampling_rate_max' (in the same directory).

Thanx for the tip, Carl, I didn't know that. My actual latency appears to be 1 s.

I suspect any manual selection you figure out will be slower than
that.  On my Athlon II computer the default latency is 80000 (80msec)
which is faster than I really need, so I actually slow it down a
little.

No such luck here. My sampling_rate_min is 500000 (yes, half a second), so even lowering the latency from 1s to 0.5s, as you can imagine, doesn't help much: it still takes almost a second just to switch from one tab to the next in Iceweasel. While such common GUI tasks are so slow that I can almost hear them crying for help, my 3 GHz CPU remains stubbornly at 375 MHz (as checked via "watch cpufreq-info"). The ondemand governor obviously just can't be bothered.

If you have multiple cpus or cores then you will need to
change all of them.

It would seem that on my system (Pentium IV HT @ 3GHz) I only have to change one CPU and the other follows suit.

--
Thanx for your time,