Screen width on Knoppix install.

I installed Knoppix, a Debian derivative, on my stepson's
computer. Everything runs fine. But the screen background does
not cover the entire area of his flat screen monitor which
measures roughly 17 1/2 inches x 9 7/8 inches. The bottom button
bar extends all the way to the left but stops at the right edge of
the screen background.

Do I need to fiddle with xorg.conf or is there another way to correct
the dimensions of the screen image?

A similar installation on an HP Pavillion laptop with a more
squarish screen has no such problem.

I ask here because my message to the Knoppix list has not yet
appeared.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press