Re: Running KDE apps under GNOME

Bob McGowan wrote:
> On 05/30/2010 04:44 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>>

>>> Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
>>> Gnome has something similar?
>>>

>> I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
>> could not find any such option.
>>

> I don't recall, offhand, and don't have access to a Gnome system to
> check, but I think Gnome has an "auto start" function, similar to KDE's
> using $HOME/.kde/Autostart to run apps you want available when you login.
>
> Perhaps you could start a terminal, run the KDE app in the background
> and do a ps to get the KDE related support services listed.  You could
> add these to the auto start list.
>
> The only thing I don't know is if these 'support services' can start
> stand alone or if a front end KDE app. is needed.
>
> If this does work but things are still too slow, you might add a local
> rc startup script in /etc/{init.d,rc2.d} to start the services at boot time.
>
> None of this is tested, just some thoughts on alternate ways to get
> things going.

Yes, but why not.

$ ps -el | grep kde
1 S  1000  4042     1  0  80   0 -  6385 -      ?        00:00:00 kdeinit
1 S  1000  4050     1  0  80   0 -  8178 -      ?        00:00:10 kded

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The difference between friendship and love is how much you can hurt each
other. (Ashleigh Brilliant)