Re: Aptitude Error

On Friday 30 April 2010 12:10:45 James Stuckey wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <
>
> bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> > On Friday 30 April 2010 06:16:22 James Stuckey wrote:
> > > The unstable/sid doesn't have to be comment out. Setting the default
> > >  release will keep the system tracked to, in this case, testing.
> >
> > Er, mostly.
> >
> > If there is a versioned dependency that can be satisfied from sid but not
> > testing, you will get the package from sid.  This shouldn't happen given
> > the
> > way testing is managed, unless you installed at least one package from
> > sid.
>
> I installed eclipse from sid, since there isn't eclipse in testing.

It may have pulling in some dependencies from Sid, then.

I know the official line is to use '-t $something' as arguments to apt-
get/aptitude for pulling in packages from Sid/experimental/backports, but I
think it is better to use the '$package=$version' format.  (After getting the
version from something like (apt-cache policy $package).)

My instinct is that '-t $something' effectively increases the priority of all
packages from the $something repository, which may make the dependency
resolver pull more from that repository than is absolutely necessary.