Re: [OT] Home UPS (was Filesystem recommendations)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:48:03 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Thursday 29 April 2010 14:26:17 owens wrote:

>> Also I might have an issue with Stan's use of AND.  While surge
>> protection of printers is a good idea, most UPS vendors advise against
>> connecting the printer to the UPS for power protection
>
> It's not because the printer makes the power unclean or otherwise
> interferes with the correct functioning of the UPS while mains is
> working.  They recommend against connecting printers because printers
> draw a large amount of power, dramatically reducing the time the UPS can
> maintain power to the system if the mains fails.  Also, (1) I've never
> actually needed my printer during an outage and (2) printers generally
> don't suffer the same ill effects from sudden power loss that file
> systems do.

He, he, he... Agree.

Someone tried to attach a mid-size laser printer to a UPS? (please, do
not)>:-)

I remember the days when I (innocently) "did so" and as soon as the
printer was powered on, the UPS unit (APC Smart 1000VA) was inmediatly
shutdown... and also all of the devices attached to it (the printer
loaded more power than the UPS could hold).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón