Re: Why are there no latest books written for Debian systems?

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 02:24:52 -0400 (EDT), martin f krafft wrote:

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> This is hardly a new book.  In fact, it was written in the days of Woody.
>> (Woody -> Sarge -> Etch -> Lenny -> Squeeze)
>
> It was written in the days of the sarge freeze and is entirely
> focused on sarge.
>>
>> And parts of it are obsolete.  But the author focuses on the core
>> stuff of Unix/Linux, and so most of it is still current. It's an
>> excellent guide for how to accomplish common computing tasks in
>> Linux,
>
> Interesting analysis. ;)
>

> I /wanted/ to focus on Debian and leave out the "core stuff of
> Unix/Linux" and "common computing tasks", because that's documented
> elsewhere.
>
> It is true that in the last 5 years, some parts have been obsoleted,
> but I'd say most of it still applies.
>
> Regardless, there's a need for a new edition. I am working on it.

I think there may be some confusion here, Mr. Krafft.  The comments
I made above were not in reference to anything _you_ wrote.  They were
in reference to the original edition of "The Linux Cookbook", by
Michael Stutz, which was copyrighted in 2001.

   http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_toc.html

I suggest that you go back and look more closely at my original post.

;-)

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :