Blank page after every page when printing PDFs with evince - Debian Lenny, CUPS, HP Paintjet (pj)

I have noticed that when printing multi-page PDF files from evince on
the GNOME desktop, using CUPS under Debian Lenny, I get a blank page
after every page.  My printer is an HP PaintJet.  This wastes paper and
is very annoying.  I have searched the Internet, of course, but I did
not find any solutions.  The closest I found was Debian bug report 316392,
but his work-around doesn't work for me.  My PPD file already specifies
Letter instead of A4 for Page Size.  Does anyone know a work-around for
this?  Surely someone has run across this before.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :