Re: Re: The future of "nv" driver

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 4/24/2010 6:26 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-04-24 12:24 +0200, Mark Allums wrote:

I've never understood the use of the word "taint" in this context.

It means the same as "contaminate". The practical consequence is that
nobody will accept bug reports against the kernel if the nvidia module
is loaded.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/#s1-18
http://kerneltrap.org/node/5616

Ah, a matter of taste, then. (Debian tastes bad with Nvidia loaded,
apparently.)

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree, although I do acknowledge the
practical problem of getting your machine running properly when no one
will read your reports.

MAA

One of the primary reasons I started using GNU/Linux was that I was really tired of being stonewalled when looking for explanations for system functions and malfunctions. Trying to figure out a problem by looking through data that is limited to what the associated proprietary interests think you ought to know is no fun.

I'd say that it's not a matter of taste so much as a matter of practicality. I wanted control of the systems that hold my data. This is where I found that control.

And, yeah, I'm tired of vendors who think that they own me. I deal with enough of that crap at work.
begin:vcard
fn:James Wallen
n:Wallen;James
adr:Apt. 204;;133 West Locust St.;Mechanicsburg;PA;17055;United States of America
email;internet:jpwallen@comcast.net
tel;work:(717) 766-0211
tel;home:(717) 458-5726
tel;cell:(717) 433-4943