Re: The future of "nv" driver

On 4/24/2010 6:26 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-04-24 12:24 +0200, Mark Allums wrote:

I've never understood the use of the word "taint" in this context.

It means the same as "contaminate".  The practical consequence is that
nobody will accept bug reports against the kernel if the nvidia module
is loaded.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/#s1-18
http://kerneltrap.org/node/5616

Ah, a matter of taste, then. (Debian tastes bad with Nvidia loaded, apparently.)

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree, although I do acknowledge the practical problem of getting your machine running properly when no one will read your reports.

MAA