Re: OT - Backup of HA server on external drive

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 03:39:56PM -0500, Ivan Marin wrote:
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1024
>
> assuming that sda is the working disk and sdb is the new, unformatted and
> unpartitioned disk. So if hte machine breaks, I can get the new disk and put
> in a new machine and everything should work. This server is doing firewall
> and openvpn, etc, no X, no fancy stuff. Is this going to work? What do you
> guys think?

Hello,

I think it would be useful to know more about the filesystem
estructure, i.e, LVM, softRAID, etc...

Anyhow, if you can have HDs swapped, you can also have a live CD
played, do you?

A Clonezilla[1] live CD could be very useful here.
BTW, if that box has no LVM implemented, this is a good chance to do it, IMHO.

Regards.

[1] http://downloads.sourceforge.net/clonezilla/clonezilla-live-1.2.4-28-686.iso

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B  D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB