Re: The future of "nv" driver (was: Linux compatible mainboards -another thought)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:36:27 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:

> Let me "copy/paste" from the official announcemnet¹:
>
> ***
> "(...) For this reason, NVIDIA is dropping support, on new GPUs, for the
> xf86-video-nv driver.
>
> Details:
>
> - NVIDIA will continue to support the existing functionality and
> existing level of acceleration in the nv driver for existing GPUs,
> on existing, and (within reason) future, X server versions.
>
> - NVIDIA will not support the xf86-video-nv driver on Fermi or
> later GPUs.
>
> - NVIDIA will not support DisplayPort, on any GPU, in the
> xf86-video-nv driver."
> ***
>
> ¹ http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2010-March/049749.html

I am disappointed to hear of Nvidia's increasing hostility to
open source video drivers.  It's one thing to withhold source code
for 3D graphics accelerated drivers.  It's another thing to not
support an open source driver at all.  The VESA driver is not adequate
for many users.  If I recall correctly, the VESA driver only makes
use of video graphics modes supported by the video BIOS.  These video
modes often cannot exploit the maximum video resolution available on
many modern LCD displays.

I shall now avoid, when possible, computers with Nvidia graphics cards.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :